Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hare Krishna! My name is Nama Rasa das, and I am starting this blog to just share my experiences with growing Srimati Tulasi devi in North America, specifically. 

I currently have one Tulasi I am taking care of.  I got her when she was about 1 cm. high, and she's 9 months old. 

New Jersey is getting colder, but today was a great day, about 70F and sunny.  I put Tulasi outside today. 

October 20th, 2012
For the past few weeks I have been wondering why her leaves are curling and she is getting weak.  She has been in her room with her new HID M-halide light, with lots of humidity and fan.  Leaves are not dropping abnormally, but her green ones are curling.  I thought it was the new light and that it was too bright, so i raised the light considerably. 

Upon further investigation today, i discovered Red Spider Mites!  These little bugs are the worst, they suck the veins and lay their eggs and slowly drain Tulasi's transcendental limbs. 

So I brought out my Safer's insect spray that i got shipped from Canada back in 2008.  This spray is great.  It kills all insects on contact, and is safe for Tulasi too in case it gets in her pot.  So i sprayed her very thoroughly, and we will see how it turns out.  

In my next post i will write a brief history about this Tulasi I have, since i have re-potted her many times, and i have many nice pictures. 

Yours in the service of Tulasi devi,
Nama Rasa das

No comments:

Post a Comment